This is coolbert:
Israeli very controversial protocol referred to as "Hannibal" at work in Gaza. An option available to the combat commander evidently having been institutionalized at least for the last thirty years or more.
"Israel criticised over army’s ‘Hannibal procedure’ in event of soldier kidnap: Tactic involves overwhelming fire that killed over 100 Palestinians in Gaza war"
• "Army used tactic for overwhelming fire dubbed 'Hannibal Procedure'"
• "Put in place when it is feared militants have captured an officer"
• "Alleged to have been used after the capture of Lieutenant Hadar Goldin"
• "Subsequent shelling killed over 100 Palestinians in southern town of Rafah"
• "Civil rights group is now calling for the procedure to be scrapped"
I think not merely an officer but any Israeli soldier period. That protocol the use of "overwhelming fire" the object to obliterate an area of terrain, killing kidnappers and captured Israeli troop both.
TO PREVENT SOLDIERS FROM BEING HELD HOSTAGE AND SUBSEQUENTLY TRADED FOR PERSONS SERVING LONG ISRAELI PRISON SENTENCES.
Soldiers too as it was in the previous Israeli Gaza incursion , also told not to surrender and not allow themselves to be taken prisoner. WHEN IN A PRECARIOUS SITUATION GO DOWN FIGHTING!!
NOT THE SAME ALSO AS COMMITTING SUICIDE!