This is coolbert:
It has [?] been a big surprise that the Russian air force [VKS] has played as perceived a relatively minor role in the Ukraine Conflict?
From https://www.businessinsider.com | story by Sophia Ankel | Sep 28, 2023. Thanks the tip from Freeper.
Graphic Intelligence Update thanks to the British Ministry of Defense [MoD].
* "Russia's air force has lost 90 planes in Ukraine since February 2022, British intelligence said."
* "Their jets are wearing out faster due to the intensive amount of combat missions, it added."
* "Despite this, Russia still has the ability to fly missions over occupied Ukraine, the update said."
I believe that when the MoD states ninety planes lost they are referring to high-performance fixed-wing aviation. Rotary wing helicopters not included in the ninety total.
That Russian overwhelming advantage numbers of combat warplanes the VKS had prior to 24 February 2022 in contrast to the Ukrainian quite obvious:
* Russian aerospace aircraft - 1,172 | Ukrainian - 124.
* Russian helicopters > 821 | Ukrainian - 46.
* Russian Air defense - 714 | Ukrainian > 322.
Keep in mind that Russian air defense is a separate military service and not part of the VKS. MiG-31 Foxhound being however used as delivery system for the Kinzhal hypersonic system.