Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Military intelligence is an oxymoron? This is so?
"oxymoron - - n. A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined"
Here with the perspective of the retired Israeli intelligence officer Yaakov Amidror regarding the counter-insurgency [COIN] problem.
Consider first the essential elements generally agreed as necessary for an insurgency to succeed:
1. Having a sanctuary to operate from.
2. Having the support of an outside power.
3. Having the support of the people.
NOW to the musings of General Amidror thanks to the Internet web site JCPA.
"Winning Counterinsurgency War: The Israeli Experience"
In the nutshell those elements of a winning counterinsurgency campaign to consist of::
* The decision of the political echelon to defeat terrorism and to bear the political cost of an offensives.
* "Control of the territory from which the terrorists operate."
* "Relevant intelligence."
* "Isolating the territory within which counter-terrorist operations are taking plane."
* "Multi-dimensional cooperation between intelligence and operations."
* "Separating the civilian population that no connection with terrorism from the terrorist entities."
Insurrections generally speaking a response to poor governance!
INSURRECTION AS PERCEIVED BY THE EXPERTS IN MOST INSTANCES THOUGHT TO BE A PROBLEM THE NATURE OF WHICH IS 80 % POLITICAL!
BUT THERE IS A MILITARY SOLUTION IF THE SITUATION PROPERLY ANALYZED AND APPROACHED CORRECT.
So says Yaakov. And when Yaakov speaks, we should all listen?
OXYMORON? WHO SAYS SO?