"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press." - - Walter Winchell.
Let's go to the blog rather.
See this trailer for the recently released movie "MRS. AMERICA". The women/feminist movement in the 1970's versus the polarizing and controversial personality Phyllis Schlafly.
Phyllis Schlafly opposed to the women/feminist movement in the Seventies. Phyllis it is agreed more or less single-handed-ly defeating efforts to pass the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. As with most prominent and controversial persons of history, Phyllis reviled by some, adored by many and even grudgingly admired by those in opposition to her.
Phyllis Schlafly having pronounced opinions regarding the incorporation of women into the U.S. military:
* "Much of the demand for women in combat comes from female officers who are eager for medals and promotion."
* "Putting women in military combat is the cutting edge of the feminist goal to force us into the androgynous society."
* "Every country that experimented with women in actual combat has abandoned the idea, and the notion that Israel uses women in combat is a feminist myth."
* "History offers no evidence for the proposition that the assignment of women to military combat jobs is the way to win wars, improve combat readiness, or promote national security."
* "Forcing women in or near land combat will hurt recruiting, not help."
* "No country in history ever sent mothers of toddlers off to fight enemy soldiers until the United States did this in the Iraq war."
"an•drog•y•nous - - being neither distinguish-ably masculine nor feminine, as in dress, appearance, or behavior."
HEY! I never did anything more about the two American Virginia class nuclear submarines the "manning" table which was to consist strictly of women. What happened to that?