This is coolbert:
Courtesy of the Pritzker Military Library and Museum we have an outstanding Podcast. I recommend highly, without qualification or reservation.
The eminent English journalist and historian Sir Max Hastings is interviewing the eminent English historian Sir Michael Howard on a range of topics.
"Sir Michael Howard"
"Acclaimed British Historian and 2015 Founder′s Literature Award Recipient Shares a discussion of his life′s work with Sir Max Hastings"
Some key points.
* China not an existential threat. A problem on the world stage only perhaps but the situation can be managed with able and skillful diplomacy.
* Drones and warfare as conducted by drones [Hellfire missile] not a difficulty. Killing your enemy from a distance without there being danger to yourself not immoral.
* Surveillance as conducted by the American National Security Agency [NSA] not such a great danger to the society as a whole. Nation-states are ALL security states. The very essence of a nation-state is to protect the citizenry, using whatever methods as deemed necessary to provide that proper degree of protection!
* Think not VICTORY at war but rather establishing a stable peace in the aftermath of the war.
* Battlefield victory at Waterloo and approximately one hundred years of continental [European] stability. GOOD!!
* Battlefield victory [for the allied powers] at the end of the Great War but an unstable peace to follow. NOT GOOD!!
Stable peace a difficult goal? Stable peace through amicable negotiations or enlightened occupation and rule hard to achieve!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment