This is coolbert:
From the latest edition of the BBC HISTORY Magazine:
"Was it worth it?"
"Did the outcome of the first World War justify the enormous loss of life? We ask two leading historians . . . to put the case, both for and against."
Professor Gary Sheffield.
"Imperfect as the world undoubtedly was in 1918, a scenario in which Germany was victorious would have been much worse."
In the nutshell Germany victory would have meant:
1. "France a vassal state."
2. "Belgium a de facto German colony."
3. "Liberal democracy in Europe gone."
Professor Richard Evans.
1. "The war destroyed Europe's economy for a generation. it did not recover until the 1950's."
2. "Politically, the war ended the slow and uneven progress the world had made towards greater democracy in the late 19th and early 20th centuries."
3. "Within a few years, in any case, burgeoning democracies had been replaced by brutal and corrupt dictatorships."
Nazi Germany. Fascist Italy and Spain. Communist Soviet Union all of them foremost!
FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE, BY 1918 EVERYONE HAD MORE OR LESS FORGOTTEN WHY THEY WERE FIGHTING THE WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE. 1914, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA AND ALL THAT WAY IN THE PAST.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment