Friday, June 25, 2021

Suicide.

This is coolbert:

Consider this figure to way too high? Personally I am skeptical.

"HIGH SUICIDE RATES AMONG UNITED STATES SERVICE MEMBERS AND VETERANS OF THE POST-9/11 WARS"

"Suicide rates among active military personnel and veterans of the post-9/11 wars are reaching new peaks. This report uses governmental data, secondary literature, and interviews to document a suicide epidemic that is emerging among post-9/11 fighters as part of a broader mental health crisis. "

"The study finds that at least four times as many active duty personnel and war veterans of post-9/11 conflicts have died of suicide than in combat, as an estimated 30,177 have died by suicide as compared with the 7,057 killed in post-9/11 war operations."

Comments:

* I had to read this article several times before I more thoroughly understood.

* I had thought they were speaking of all veterans from WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I and the wars as fought in the aftermath of 9/11.

* But no, they are speaking of veterans strictly as having fought in wars subsequent to 9/11.

* I will say again [and I have no knowledge as to what methodology was used to arrive at those statistics] but the figures from an intuitive standpoint are WAY to high.

coolbert.




No comments: