Wednesday, December 27, 2017
Concluding with the final list as extracted from "The Reader's Companion to Military History".
"Ten Military Might-Have-Beens"
* "Xerxes' Fleet Avoids the Athenians Trap at Salamis, and Greece becomes Part of the Persian Empire."
* "Alexander the Great lives to Old Age."
* "Mongol Khan Ogodei Lives to Old Age, and His Armies Conquer Western Europe Instead of Withdrawing to Elect a New Khan."
* "The Ottoman Empire Captures Vienna and Goes on to Conquer Western Europe for Islam."
* "The Wind Blows the Armada Back Into the English Channel."
* "Benedict Arnold Captures Quebec, and Canada Joins the Colonies in Revolt."
* "Napoleon Does Not Go To Moscow and Expels The British From the Iberian Peninsula."
* "The Schlieffen Plan Works." [WW1]
* "Successful Assassination of Adolf Hitler."
* "Operation Sealion Succeeds, and Germany Conquers England; Hitler Takes Moscow and the Caspian Oil Fields; Rommel Takes Cairo and Palestine, and Nazi Forces Join Hands in Iraq; Meanwhile the Japanese Navy Rules the Indian Ocean as Far as Africa."
ALSO AXIS EFFORTS SUCCESSFUL THE GERMANS AND JAPANESE HAVING ESTABLISHED UNDISPUTED CONTROL OF EUROPE AND ASIA RESPECTIVELY AS A CONSEQUENCE THE COMBINED FLEETS OF GERMANY, ITALY, VICHY FRANCE AND JAPAN BEGIN NAVAL OPERATIONS AGAINST THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.