Saturday, December 23, 2017
"Quinctilius Varus, give me back my legions." - - Caesar Augustus.
Continuing with extracts with commentary: "The Reader's Companion to Military History".
"The Ten Greatest Military Disasters."
* Sicilian Expedition. [Athenians]
* Cannae. [Romans/Carthaginians]
* Teutoburg Forest. [Romans/Germans]
* Kosovo. [Turks/Serbs]
* Mohacs. [Turks/Hungarians]
* Poltava. [Swedes/Russians]
* Sedan. [French/Germans]
* The Somme, First Day. [English/Germans]
* Singapore. [English/Japanese]
* Stalingrad. [Germans/Soviets]
Carrhae not worthy of inclusion? More Roman legionnaires lost [killed and captured combined] than at Teutoburg Wald!