This is coolbert:
Only vaguely was any of this aware to me. MASS INCARCERATION OF PERSONS DEEMED AS ENEMY ALIENS DURING BOTH WORLD WARS.
1. "Forgotten: Britain’s civilian mass prison camps from World War I"
Mass round-up and incarceration of enemy aliens during the Great War. Hysteria
regarding the presence of German nationals in England prior to the start
of the Great War to a degree the result of the pulp-fiction of the dime-novelist Le Queux?
"In 1914, Britain stood at the forefront of organizing one of the first civilian mass internment operations of the 20th century. 30,000 civilian German, Austrian and Turkish men who had been living or traveling in Britain in the summer of that year found themselves behind barbed wire, in many cases for the whole duration of World War I."
"Throughout the British Empire and Dominions there was a multitude of further camps such as Ahmednagar in India, Fort Napier in South Africa, and Holsworthy in Australia. Other belligerent powers pursued similar policies. An estimated 800,000 civilians were held captive throughout Europe."
2. "Fact File : Civilian Internment"
Internment of enemy aliens as practiced during the Great War also during that period of 1939 - 1945.
That nuanced approach to incarceration as determined by categories of RISK as perceived:
* "'A' - 'high security risk', numbering just under 600, who were immediately interned"
* "'B' - 'doubtful cases', numbering around 6,500, who were supervised and subject to restrictions"
* "'C' - 'no security risk', numbering around 64,000, who were left at liberty. More than 55,000 of category 'C' were recognized as refugees from Nazi oppression. The vast majority of these were Jewish."
LESS THAN 1 % OF THE WHOLE THOUGHT TO REPRESENT AS HIGH SECURITY RISK!