Monday, July 17, 2017
Here with a number of recent items as pertinent to Chinese submarines and undersea warfare operations. Slight commentary also.
All items in index thanks to the South China Morning Post Hong Kong edition with the exception of # 5.
1. "Has China developed the world’s most powerful submarine detector?"
"Major breakthrough in magnetic detection technology brings unprecedented accuracy in finding metallic objects hidden deep underground and in the water, Shanghai scientists say"
2. "The Chinese acoustics research that might help shield submarines from sonar"
"Researchers working on a new system they hope will be more effective in hiding submarines from detection under the sea"
3. "Does China’s deep-sea tech upgrade point to submarine signals network under Pacific?"
"Technology used for undersea research has clear military applications, including improving communications with submarines, say experts"
4. "China’s first nuclear submarine was developed with the aid of an abacus, according to the scientist who led the project in the late 1950s"
"Now 93, Huang Xuhua, chief designer of the Long March-1, said he still owns one of the suanpan [abacuses] that were used by his team almost 60 years ago,Scientists used abacuses to develop China’s first nuclear submarine"
5. "China Is Building the World's Largest Submarine Factory"
"The 430,000-square-foot plant will guard subs from prying eyes."
THIS FACTORY ONE OF A NUMBER AT THE DISPOSAL OF THE CHINESE FOR SUBMARINE CONSTRUCTION. IN THIS CASE ONLY THE MOST MODERN AND LARGEST!
6. "Why Chinese submarines could soon be quieter than US ones"
"Top naval engineer says new propulsion system will put PLA Navy ‘way ahead’ of US"
NOT A BRAND-NEW TECHNOLOGY NEVER ATTEMPTED BEFORE. ONLY THAT BEING USED BY THE CHINESE FOR THE FIRST TIME.
China as you can well imagine awash with money, cash that can be used to finance all manner of military hardware and projects. The limit is the imagination? China to use naval assets as a way of exerting geo-political domination with global reach!