Saturday, April 30, 2016
Only recently having viewed the BBC production: "37 Days" those events as transpired in 1914 that led to the Great War [WW1].
The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie by the Serb ultra-nationalist Gavrilo Princip setting off a chain reaction beyond the control of the existing world powers. War as a consequence!
The Austro-Hungarian Empire have issued to the Serb government a list of demands, ultimatums actually, as described in the movie as consisting of FIVE POINTS!
The ultimatum rather listing TEN DEMANDS!
"Content of the Austro-Hungarian ultimatum to Serbia"
The Serbian government required to by the ultimatum: [with all due speed and without even the slightest degree of hesitancy]
1. "Suppress all publications which 'incite hatred and contempt of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy' and are 'directed against its territorial integrity'."
2. "Dissolve the Serbian nationalist organization Narodna Odbrana . . . and all other such societies in Serbia."
3. "Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all 'propaganda against Austria-Hungary'."
4. "Remove from the Serbian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Austro-Hungarian Government will provide."
5. "Accept in Serbia 'representatives of the Austro-Hungarian Government' for the 'suppression of subversive movements'."
6. "Bring to trial all accessories to the Archduke's assassination and allow 'Austro-Hungarian delegates' (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations."
7. "Arrest Major Vojislav Tankosić and civil servant Milan Ciganović who were named as participants in the assassination plot."
8. "Cease the cooperation of the Serbian authorities in the 'traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier'; dismiss and punish the officials of Šabac and Loznica frontier service, 'guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Sarajevo crime'"
9. "Provide 'explanations' to the Austro-Hungarian Government regarding 'Serbian officials' who have expressed themselves in interviews 'in terms of hostility to the Austro-Hungarian Government'."
10. "Notify the Austro-Hungarian Government 'without delay' of the execution of the measures comprised in the ultimatum."
Demands of the ultimatum prior to the beginning of armed hostilities AGREED TO BY THE SERBS. AND YET THE GREAT WAR WITH ALL THAT MEANT BEGAN AND PROCEEDED FOR FOUR TERRIBLE YEARS ANYHOW! SO HOW IS THAT?
THAT EMBLEM AND LOGO OF THE SERBIAN BLACK HAND MIXING CHRISTIAN HOLY SYMBOLS, THE DAGGER AND BOMB, THE SKULL AND CROSSBONES OF THE PIRATE!!