"May there not be methods of using explosive energy incomparably more intense than anything heretofore discovered? Might not a bomb no bigger than an orange be found to possess a secret power to destroy a whole block of buildings—nay, to concentrate the force of a thousand tons of cordite and blast a township at a stroke?" - - Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill, 1924.
Here with a very "cool" image:
[that is a man on the far-right. RAF = Royal Air Force. USAAF = U.S. Army Air Force.]
From left to right:
* "RAF 22,000 lb Grand Slam"
* "RAF 12,000 lb Tallboy"
* "USAAF 4000 lb Blockbuster"
* USAAF 2000 lb Blockbuster"
* USAAF 1000 lb armor-piercing bomb"
* USAAF 500 lb standard demolition bomb"
" USAAF 100 lb bomb with nose fuse"
And further, for comparison sake:
* "the first atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima had a weight of 8,900 lbs, and had an explosive power of 10,000 tons of TNT"
* "Fat Man" delivered on Nagasaki was larger, weighing 10,200 lbs and having the explosive power of 21,000 tons of TNT."
And how exactly was Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill able to have the vision of the atomic bomb - - in 1924 - - way before the discovery of nuclear fission was even discovered? Can someone tell me that?