This is coolbert:
Extracts from the wiki with my comment regarding the purported advantages of the American M60 tank vis-a-vis the much more modern and combat tested M1 Abrams.
"While overall a less advanced tank than the M1 Abrams, the M60A3 did have some advantages over some M1 models"
* "The M60A3 TTS had a better thermal imaging system than that of M1 tanks up into the 21st century, when many M1s were upgraded with newer 2nd generation systems."
VARIANTS OF THE M60 ALSO USED TO POSSESS A XENON SEARCH LIGHT COAX MOUNTED WITH THE MAIN GUN. GAVE OFF WHITE LIGHT AND ALSO INFRA-RED. WHERE EVER THE SEARCHLIGHT POINTED IS WHERE THE ROUND FROM THE MAIN GUN WOULD HIT!
* "The M60A3 had an exterior phone for infantry to talk directly to the crew inside, though this feature was removed from most M60A3s in its later life. This feature was also installed on some M1 tanks with the TUSK upgrade kit."
* "The M60A3's diesel engine had lower overall performance, but also it had lower cost, required less maintenance, and had better fuel efficiency."
* The exhaust temperature of an M1's turbine is very high, which makes it dangerous for infantry to take cover behind it. This was and is not the case with the diesel engine on the M60.
* "The escape hatch located under the hull of the M60A3 is not present on the M1 Abrams, making it more difficult for the crew to escape a battle-damaged Abrams or evacuate casualties than from an M60A3."
* "The M60 series' M68A1 105 mm main gun fires a much wider variety of ammunition than the 120 mm smoothbore on the M1A1 series, because doctrine only required APFSDS and HEAT."
NO HIGH-EXPLOSIVE PLASTIC, NO HIGH-EXPLOSIVE FRAGMENTATION AND NO FLECHETTE! THE MOST CURRENT RUSSIAN TANKS ALSO ABLE TO FIRE FROM THE MAIN GUN AN ANTI-TANK GUIDED MISSILE!
* "The M60 series has instrumentation that allows indirect fire as ad-hoc artillery if needed by virtue of having a M28A1/M28E1 azimuth indicator and M13A3 quadrant elevation on board."
THIS WAS A POPULAR TECHNIQUE USED WIDELY DURING THE KOREAN WAR. TANKS DRIVING UP UNTO A PRE-CONSTRUCTED WEDGE-SHAPED FIRING RAMP ABLE TO ELEVATE THE MAIN GUN BEYOND HORIZONTAL AND EMPLOY FIRE [HE-FRAG?] IN AN INDIRECT MANNER RECEIVING TARGETING DATA AS WOULD ANY ARTILLERY PIECE!
Recall in all instances the M60 as fielded based on an original design from 1948!!
M60 forever I suppose!!