Friday, February 15, 2019
Lessons learned COIN! Indian style! The Punjab counter-insurgency [COIN].
Courtesy the South Asian Terrorism Portal [SATP] and the article by Anant Mathur
As described by the counter-insurgency expert K. P. S. Gill:
"The movement [Sikh separatists] for the creation of Khalistan was one of the most virulent terrorist campaigns in the world. Launched in the early 1980s by a group of bigots who discovered their justification in a perversion of the Sikh religious identity, and supported by a gaggle of political opportunists both within the country and abroad, this movement had consumed 21,469 lives before it was comprehensively defeated in 1993"
"Secrets of COIN Success Lessons from the Punjab Campaign"
"The Punjab campaign stands out among the most recent, successful and victorious COIN campaigns in the world. This was largely made possible by a coherent grand strategy and tactical innovations on the ground. This campaign provides interesting lessons that are applicable to all COIN [counter-insurgency]campaigns."
* "First, the importance of promoting an anti-insurgency leader needs greater emphasis than observed in available COIN theories."
* "Secondly, it is essential that Governments must demonstrate the resolve for a political solution of the conflict only from a position of strength."
* "Thirdly, election of insurgents for constitutional posts creates even bigger problems for the COIN campaign."
* Fourthly, COIN campaigns are inherently labour intensive.
* "Fifthly, cutting-edge technology has a limited role to play in COIN campaigns."
* "Sixthly, the insurgency’s sympathizers in the SFs [security forces] should be handled sensitively."
* "Seventh, the COIN campaign should focus on the leaders and ideologues of the insurgency."
* "Eighth, external help to the insurgency must be stifled using all instruments of state power."
* "Lastly, the campaign must develop specific measures of effectiveness to gauge the level of popular support."
The security forces [SF's] of India more experienced and adept at COIN operations beyond that of any other nation on the planet.
The Punjab Campaign just one example among many!