"Can we really field ground breaking disruptive technology fast?' . . . 'We need this type of capability…We realize it’s a high risk.'”
"Army Explores Anti-Ship Howitzers and Anti-Air Strykers"
HIGH-VELOCITY-PROJECTILE [HVP]! A CHEAP AND DIRTY ALTERNATIVE TO THE ANTI-SHIP CRUISE MISSILE? AND NEEDED NOW!
Coastal artillery but with range far beyond the horizon. Guided munitions also a solution to the problem as faced by the Filipino in their confrontation with China in the South China Sea. Net-centric capable.
"The 155 mm howitzer is just one weapon being considered for 'coastal artillery'."
"Hyper Velocity Projectile (HVP), a BAE Systems cannon shell with precision guidance that can be fired from Navy 5-inch deck guns or Army 155 millimeter howitzers. The Navy side is further along, but the Army has test-fired the 155 [mm] version of the HVP"
HVP compatible with:
* Mk 45.
* Advanced Gun System (AGS).
* 155-mm Tube Artillery.
* 50 nmi (93 km) from Mk 45 Mod 4 [58 miles].
* 40 nmi (74 km) from Mk 45 Mod 2 [46 miles].
* 70 nmi (130 km) from AGS [81 miles].
* 43 nmi (80 km) from 155-mm Tube Artillery [50 miles].
Maximum Rate of Fire:
* Mk 45 20 rounds per minute
* AGS 10 rounds per minute
* 155-mm Tube Artillery 6 rounds per minute
See previous blog entries the subject guided artillery munitions: