This is coolbert:
None of this can be good!
American military units in Syria clashing with proxy forces beholden to the Iranian. Proxy forces to INCLUDE PERHAPS RUSSIANS!!
And as not reported anywhere else?
From the latest edition of the DEBKAfile news letter:
1. "US air, artillery strike Hizballah, Iranian forces in E. Syria"
"The US and Russia took military action in the last 48 hours to show the bit-players in the Syrian war . . . that they are not calling the shots for the next moves." .
"On Jan. 7-8, members of the US 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit fired M777 Howitzer guns, backed by air strikes, against Hizballah and pro-Iranian Shiite militia forces operating in the Deir ez-Zour region east of the Euphrates River."
* "Deir ez-Zour, Here, the US is acting to contain the Syrian, Iranian and Hizballah forces operating in the region from advancing eastward towards the Iraqi border."
* "Al-Tanf Front, SE Syria: Hardly a day goes by without Russian special forces, Syrian troops, Hizballah, or local groups battering the US garrison there with artillery fire and air strikes."
2. "Pentagon says US attack in Syria was 'self-defense'"
". . . US forces conducted air and artillery strikes against pro-Syrian forces to repel their attack on a US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces [SDF] base on Wednesday"
3. "More on US strike: Russians who laid Euphrates bridge among targets"
"US F-15 fighters, Apache helicopters, heavy artillery and special forces took part Thursday, Feb. 8 in the early morning attack against pro-Assad, Hizballah and Shiite forces who were crossing the Euphrates to eastern Syria . . . US-led coalition spokesmen estimated that up to 100 Syrian and Hizballah fighters lost their lives in the engagement, possibly including some Russians"
And thank you DEBKAfile. You are up to date and most relevant.
And you the devoted reader to the blog are now also!