Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Isaac.


This is coolbert:

"as they [the British] allow no other alternative than submission, or confinement in the capital, at a distance from my wife and family, at a time when they are in the most pressing need of my presence and support, I must, for the present, yield to the demands of the conquerors. I request you to bear in mind, that previous to my taking this step, I declare that it is contrary to my inclination, and forced on me by hard necessity. I will never bear arms against my country … I do not mean to desert the cause of America." - - I. Hayes.

From the  Internet web site ExecutedToday.com thanks to the tip from Freeper.

Violation of military parole. Sentence of death carried out.

"1781: Isaac Hayne, paroled prisoner of war"

"On this date in 1781, South Carolina patriot Isaac Hayne was hanged for breaking his conditional British parole and re-enlisting in the American Revolution. Though Hayne is not, to us, the most famous revolutionary executed by the British, he might have been considered by his contemporaries as the most prominent individual to go to the scaffold for the cause."

Isaac having been captured by the British but released under a condition of parole. Agreeing [Isaac] not rejoin the hostilities fighting on the side of the American revolutionaries.

Isaac for his violation of parole having made the ultimate sacrifice.

Isaac a prominent planter and a true Carolina gentleman as he would have been referred to at the time. A major slave owner wealthy and in that sense the "most prominent individual" executed by the British during the American Revolutionary War.

coolbert.




No comments: